Friday, March 13, 2009

Fear, doubt and insecurity....

Fear, doubt and insecurity are a part of my make up. I engage in them as naturally, as instinctively as breathing. Maybe that is why they are such fundamental parts of my essence. While I can change a thought, instincts come from that which precedes thought, from the genetic programming that insures survival of the species.

I was thinking about that tonight. It doesn't take much to get me thinking. REALLY! Not much at all.

I was wondering, what does a bird a think the first time it falls from the nest? Does it know that it should be able to fly? Does it know that one day it will be able to glide through air as if it were the wind itself?

FAITH. What exactly does that word mean? To the birds of the air? To me? To human beings in general?

I've heard that faith is the absence of fear. Yet that thought does not quite ring true. When I face my fears utilizing my faith, then and only then do I possess the courage to conquer those fears. I heard once in an old war movie that courage was not the absence of fear but rather that it is what one does in the facing their fears.

Do birds fear flying? Do young birds doubt that they can fly? Do they have faith in their potential to soar above the solid earth?

The human mind is a terrible thing to waste...or is it? Do I let myself get in the way of me too often? Do I let myself get in the way of life too often? Note to self: stop second guessing yourself so much. LOL

If I let go and let god (group of drunks, good orderly direction*, your standard concept of an higher power, dog spelled backwards)I am walking on water in a spiritual sense. What a concept! I too can soar if I allow myself the freedom, if I remove the bondage of self. Hmmm!



*my personal favorite folks!

No comments: