Thursday, October 30, 2008

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE

I really do try to be patient with doctors. My PCP is okay. I finally got hold of her and told her my symptoms. Thank goodness I had sent a copy of my last lithium level to her as well as to my psychiatrist. She had me promise to call my shrink because my lithium levels were too high. I suspected as much.

General weakness, tireness, mental fog, shakiness, blurred vision, dizziness, jerkiness of arms and legs, and not being able to eat without feeling nauseous (and a couple bouts of vomiting) are pretty classic symptoms. I so cold I feel like someone replaced my blood with ice water...cold from the inside with my fingers being exceptionally cold and white. Oh yeah, and I have this delightful rash from hell that itches so much I want to skip crying and go right to full fledged screaming. Yesterday when I damn near passed out was the last straw.

Funny thing is the symptoms started the end of last week prompting me to get my level tested on Monday. Do doctors even bother with that stuff? No one from my shrinks office called. Lithium is not something to play around with. I just kept getting worse and worse. To add to matters, I keep forgetting my afternoon bout half the time. I'd be in sorry state if I had been on top of that.

I called my shrink and left a message with her secretary with the note that if she wasn't in for someone to call me and tell me so. They do funny things like not return calls when a doctor is on vacation or out of town for days. The secretary called back to tell me my doctor was not in and would I like the doctor on call to call me. I said yes, my PCP said my lithium levels are high and I am in fact symptomatic I need to speak with the doctor on call. Was any part of that confusing? I think not. Yet, I get nothing. The freaking doctor on call just didn't bother to call me. NADA.

I did not take my afternoon dose, nor will I take my bedtime or morning doses. I have an appointment with my therapist at the same facility...and I aint walking in happy!!! If I didn't know to stop taking the meds till the level comes down...and there are many less on top of this thing than I...I can't imagine continuing to put more lithium into my system at this point. I just don't get it. How can I tell someone that I am experiencing lithium toxicity and get no response from the medical personel on duty? Yes, I used the term lithium toxicity, noted my elevated lithium levels on Monday's bloodwork and noted I was indeed symptomatic.

Lucy! You got some 'splaining to do!!!

This part of the state doesn't offer many options for mental health services. One is not an option, it's just what's available. I will find a way to make what is available work for me even if I have to raise holy hell to do it. Unacceptable is unacceptable!!!

No comments: